What is a Beginner Quilter? A Beginner Quilter has mastered certain basic skills, and is confident in their ability to use their sewing machine. A Beginner Quilter is different from someone who is just starting their sewing journey.
The Beginner Quilter has been working on (or maybe even mastered) the following things:
- Familiar with all basic functions of their sewing machine. This includes threading the machine, changing the bobbin, adjusting tension, changing stitch width and length, and basic maintenance for their machine.
- Can follow a basic pattern and understands lower level quilting terms such as: backing, binding, blocks, seam allowance, scant, wrong sides together, and right sides together
- Can sew two pieces of fabric together in a straight line.
- Knows the difference between pressing and ironing.
- Can successfully use a rotary cutter, mat, and ruler to cut out their project pieces.
Other Things a Confident Beginner might be working on:
- Basic Applique
- Basic Paper Piecing or Foundation Paper Piecing